Saturday, March 9, 2013

Philippians 4:12-13

     "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." What a challenging passage! My husband and I were able to have a long discussion about this earlier today. We both feel that we are struggling with being content with our life. There are plenty of things we want - most of them requiring money - and some things we would like to be rid of - mainly debt! :) However, as a Christian, I am supposed to be living a life of trust in God and contentment with life. It is so easy to forget that I am incredibly blessed. It is so easy to picture an "ideal" life and compare it to my messy, busy, interrupted, and sometimes chaotic life. The result is discontentment. Granted we have had a rough year. However, that year is behind us!! I need to be present in our life today. I need to move forward and pursue the things I love. I need to treasure every moment I can get with my children. I need to make memories with my family. I need to contribute to the running of the household. I have sat back for far too long and just let things go. This is it. I have decided to move on. To refuse to allow a medical diagnosis to determine my whole life. Yes, it factors in but I choose to keep that part of our life from taking over everything. I have wallowed in self pity long enough. I will rise up. I will find the true me. I will work hard at anything that is put before me. While I may not completely understand this secret to contentment, I am going to start moving forward towards complete contentment - no matter what our circumstances. It's easy to point my finger and say "that is why I am not happy. That is why I am not content." However, I've lived that way long enough to know that it just leads to misery and depression. I will not give the devil this foothold in my life. I will choose to focus on the positive. I will choose to contribute in a positive and loving way to my household, my job, my volunteer work, and my relationships. This will not be as good as it will ever get. Things will change because I will change my outlook. And when this gets hard, I will lean into God to be my strength and empower me to be content. We are blessed. I have an amazing family and our journey is about to get a whole lot brighter!