Sunday, January 27, 2013

A busy, fun weekend

     Well, we made it to the deadline for the science project and had it finished on time! Let's not talk about the 4 1/2 hours we spent on it the night before it was due! :) I am so proud of Pumpkin and his first place prize! He worked so hard documenting everything and getting the display put together. It was a fun experiment involving M&Ms and "predator" friends!
    This weekend was a busy one for us - not one day of sitting at home staring at a screen. Which, in my book is a good thing although I often vote for the day on the couch instead of going out and doing something. On Saturday we went to see the snow and ice sculptures at SnowFest. Then we went to the Science Fair to see how Pumpkin did (Did I mention he got first place?! So proud!). After that, we were finally able to make it to my parents house for a visit. We hadn't been able to see them since Christmas! We typically try to make it over to see them once a week but we don't go if any of us is sick. So, this time of the year we just don't get to see them as often as we would like. Then this morning, Pumpkin had a school concert. He did great and his class sounded beautiful! After that we attended church - another good service although I didn't quite get to hear the entire sermon thanks to Peanut's sudden insistence on a snack (which I hadn't brought with me). We did manage to get a little quiet down time after church - I even took a nap after lunch! This afternoon, Pumpkin and I had a date. Usually we go out on a Saturday but this time there was a mother-son event at a local bowling alley so we took advantage of that. It was a lot of fun! Pumpkin had a great time - even though we quickly realized we were much better at Wii bowling than actual bowling! We had pizza and root beer - the first time Pumpkin had root beer and he over-indulged. Life's little lessons - today's lesson was too much caffeine can lead to a headache. On our way home, we stopped at McDonald's for some chocolate chip cookies. I am really loving these dates that I get with Pumpkin. It all started thanks to a conversation with our friend. We were talking about how much attention Peanut gets at the hospital - from mom, dad, friends and family. We also mentioned that we felt bad because Pumpkin never got that kind of time with us. Our friend strongly suggested that we begin taking Pumpkin on dates. He said no matter what special things Pumpkin does with other family and friends, nothing can equal special time with mom and dad. So, we've started taking both kids on dates - one every weekend. That means that each of the kids gets one date with mom and one date with dad every month. It has been a wonderful thing for us! I hope the kids treasure these times as much as we do!
     We are quickly approaching the final treatment for Peanut's AVM. I am eager to begin the countdown to complete recovery from this issue that has overwhelmed our lives. I am amazed that time has flown by so quickly - it's almost been a year ago now! It's hard to believe it's been that long. But I am really ready to move on to the next chapter of our life. It seems like I've lived the last year numb. There is so much that has gone on around me but I've felt unable to be a part of most of it. Just getting through Peanut's medical issues has used up every ounce of energy and emotion I have. I am ready for that to end. I am ready to love life, to laugh often, to dance with my children, to truly enjoy the special moments of an ordinary day. I am ready to live again and not just get through our days and weeks. It is time to move on. I look forward to discovering what life holds in this next chapter. Life is full of twists and turns and I think our next turn is going to be a fantastic and wonderful adventure!