Monday, December 31, 2012

A little more current

There is so much that has happened since Peanut's first procedure. So, let me 'splain..."No, there's too much. Lemme sum up." ;) Besides what the doctors and nurses called a minor bleed (but felt like a pretty major bleed to my husband and I) after Peanut's first procedure, her recovery went very well. We left the hospital after that first procedure with the date for the next. However, we felt like we had a little more hope this time. The next procedure was scheduled for early December. This time, my husband and I waited alone. It was still very stressful as we tried to trust God with our daughter. After the procedure we met with the doctor again. He was again very pleased with the results. He didn't think he would be able to reach the aneurysm to embolize it because of the "s" like curve of the artery. There have been so many things along this road that have only one explanation - God's hand at work in Peanut's life. We are back to the waiting game but feel much more at ease with this. We know that 50% of the AVM has been treated - and that includes both aneurysms within the AVM. We knew with the holidays being just around the corner, we probably wouldn't hear anything until mid-January. We have settled into our routine and take each day as it comes.
The New Year is always a great time for reflection on the last year and planning for the upcoming year. At our Christmas Eve service, our pastor used our story as an example of God's ability to take a situation that is completely hopeless and filling it with hope. So, my husband jokes that our New Year's resolution is to not be a sermon illustration! ;) The New Year has always been one of my favorite holidays. I feel like it's a new beginning - a new chance to do things right. This past year has been one I hope to never repeat. However, it has also been the year of our greatest blessings from God. One year ago I could never have imagined all that the upcoming year would have in store for us. It's been a rough, emotional and overwhelming ride. I am grateful for the many ways God has intervened in our life - from clearing the traffic as my husband drove incredibly fast to get us to the ER, to guiding the doctor's hands through procedure after procedure, to calming us as we learned how to take care of a child with diabetes and so much more. So many "small" things and many, many huge things! We are blessed to have reached the end of this year as a family of four. We are blessed to have these 2 precious children to raise. We are blessed with the health of both of our children. We are blessed to be in a home filled with love. We are blessed to share our lives with my sister, brother in law and their 5 children. We are blessed to have jobs, health insurance, a home, and bills that are paid every month. We are blessed to be here still, able to continue striving toward a deeper relationship with God. Through this last year, I have learned that there is SO much room for my faith to grow! As I look forward to this next year I can clearly see changes that need to take place. First, I need to spend more time in God's word. This is the part of a Christ followers life that I have struggled with. I simply want this year to become the first year in as long as I can remember that I read some part of scripture each day. At this point I don't care if it's only one verse. I just know I need to deepen my knowledge of God's Word and implant it in my heart. I got a day-planner for Christmas that has a devotional for every week with additional Scriptures to read each day. So, that is my starting point. As far as other goals for this next year - I don't have many, mostly because it's too hard to guess what this next year will hold for us. As always, I want to lose some weight and get my body to a healthier state. After Peanut's bleed in March, I comforted myself with food. My body clearly shows that now. So, I will work on eating less, eating healthier, exercising at least 3 times a week and walking at least 10,000 steps each day. I strive every year to spend more time with my kids. To be available to them and to enjoy my time with them. This next year will be no exception to that. I want my children to remember that I was there. That I played with them, did crafts with them, laughed with them and loved on them. This next year is bound to be one of surprises, hope and certainly, one of blessings. I look forward to seeing where this journey will take me next.