Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Beginning...

     The best start, I suppose, is an introduction. I am the mother of 2 amazing children. Throughout my journey, the preciousness of life and the reality that children are a gift of God and are truly not ours to hold on to has been impressed on my heart over and over. I have had many roles in life but none so challenging, heart-breaking or incredibly rewarding as my role as mother. I feel incredibly blessed on this journey. I have been blessed with a wonderful husband to share this road with. Our son is a vibrant 3rd grader who loves life and his family. Our daughter is a spunky, high-spirited, ray of sunshine. (although when the storms come, they are as dark as her sunny times are bright!) 
     Our home is blessed to be shared with two families - my own and my sister's. We have felt God's hand in working out the many details of running our home. Our home is relationship rich even if it feels at times that we are space poor. My sister and her husband have been an incredible blessing to us. We have had a rough year and without their constant daily help I'm not sure we could have sailed these rough waters so easily. 
     As I think back to my early adulthood and the way I imagined what being a mom would be like, it seems like the ruminations of a different person. Each of us will have a different journey as a parent and there is no way to predict what your journey will look like. There is no way I could have imagined what my day to day life would look like. What an incredible journey it's already been - I look forward to many more years on this journey with many unforeseen twists and turns!
     For me, this blog is just a place to log special moments in my journey and the little things that I treasure - like the way my daughter, "Peanut" spins in the middle of the aisle at church during the music, or the way my son, "Pumpkin" smirks when he's done something clever. This will become a place to store the treasures of motherhood - both through words and photos. Really, this is more for me than for anyone else. Just a place for me to wander through the most precious times and most difficult times of my motherhood - and a place to watch how my children grew and changed over time. What Elizabeth Stone said is true: "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."