Sunday, November 18, 2012

2 precious gifts

     Just under 8 years ago, I gave birth to my first child - a beautiful baby boy who I immediately started calling Pumpkin. He was very content as long as someone was holding him. I loved having him in my arms so there were few struggles there. I loved holding him even as he took naps. I do not think it is possible to spoil an infant. Besides, at that time, I planned on having just one baby so I soaked up every minute that I could holding him. Just under 3 years later, I had my second baby. Funny how my "plans" have a way of unraveling! My second baby was a beautiful baby girl - deemed Peanut before she was even born. She had beautiful hair - and lots of it! She had a baby doll look to her face - such a sweet face! She, of course, didn't get all the luxuries her older brother had received. She wasn't held nearly as much as I would have liked because I was busy chasing around a busy toddler! I was thrilled to be a stay-at-home mom. I would pick up part time jobs here and there but in my heart I knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. 
     When Pumpkin was old enough to start kindergarten, we enrolled him in a Christian school. However, one week before school started, the school closed it's doors. So, I decided to home-school. I home-schooled Pumpkin from kindergarten through 2nd grade. Towards the end of his 2nd grade school year, our lives went through some major changes.
     In November 2011 I was diagnosed with chronic migraine. This was after watching my sister suffer an intense non-stop migraine every day for over a year! It was very scary to have the same diagnosis as she. However, my life was much less stressful at that time and I saw a migraine specialist within a month of the migraine starting. It wasn't long before my migraine was under control and I began having pain free days. It felt overwhelming to try to continue our everyday life in the midst of this migraine and pain free days felt amazing! It wasn't long before my diagnosis seemed incredibly trivial.
     On March 2, 2012, Peanut had a sudden, intense migraine. She went from running circles with her older brother one minute to screaming in pain the next. She managed to climb the stairs and make her way to the living room - screaming all the while. Unfortunately, I didn't go running as Peanut had a tendency to scream over many little things. She found me in the living room and I put her on my lap. She was holding the left side of her head and screaming. I couldn't get her to talk to me - she just kept screaming. I felt all over her head, looking for a bump but wasn't able to find anything. She was able to talk enough to tell me her head hurt but that was all. My husband and I were unable to figure out what had led up to the intense headache. My husband was frantically searching for Tylenol but couldn't find it while we were shouting back and forth to each other trying to determine whether we should call the doctor or not. I decided to lay Peanut down on my bed to try to help find some medication for her. My husband talked to Pumpkin who was still in the basement and had Pumpkin show him exactly what had happened. Within a few minutes, Peanut was asleep. I was able to wake her but clearly this wasn't a normal sleepiness. We immediately decided to take her to the ER. We flew to the hospital not realizing how much our life would change over the next few hours, days and months.